Saturday, November 18, 2017

Goodbye Pensacola... (circa 2012)

I haven't posted on here in a while and this will be a little diversion from the usual vibe of this blog but as I exit one season of my life and enter another, I want to highlight some of the most special things (and people) that have been in my life the past 4 years here in Pensacola, Florida. I also want to relay my heart and hopes for the next few years... Sorry in advance for the sappyness that is to ensue. :-)

I will start by sharing how the boys and I ended up in Pensacola.

I graduated college in 2008 from the University of South Alabama in Mobile. I grew up in Mobile and didn't really want to leave my hometown or family and friends however, my marriage was in a really bad place that needed a drastic rescue and change. My husband and I decided we could use a fresh start outside of the town that held many memories of the past. I began applying for jobs all over Escambia and Santa Rosa County. That particular year, Escambia County held a job fair for teachers. I went and handed out my resume, one by one, to as many tables (schools) as possible, not knowing anything about any of the schools.

I was fortunate to get a call for 2 interviews in Pensacola. I loved the vibe of my first interview. It was relaxed, welcoming and casual. I wanted that job! My 2nd interview was more formal and structured with a committee but still a very kind staff. The next day, the second school called and not only offered me a position but gave me my top-pick on grade level. So, right out of college, I snagged my first "big girl" job! It felt great. I began the work of finding a place to live, finding a daycare for Brayden and trying to make plans with my husband.

My first year in Pensacola was pretty rocky. My husband never moved with us and it was just the boys and me. I was a first year teacher separated from my grade level by a few buildings. I had a very torn heart leaving Brayden every day. I missed my family and friends. And my marriage was falling to pieces. But, this was also a year of dramatic change and growth in my walk with God. Over the 2nd year here, I was moved to the same building as my grade level and got to know some of the most incredible people that will be lifelong friends! Dylan received a partial scholarship to a great private school here, we moved into an adorable home and God completely released me from the pain of my marriage.

Since then, I have formed some incredible memories here in Pensacola. I'd like to highlight some of my favorites:

Sherwood

This school will go down in the history of my career as one of my favorites. The students. The administration. The support. My grade level.... and of course, my awesomely huge, spacious, dream classroom! :-) I could not have asked for a more gracious, kind principal to teach under for these years. She, and most recently my new principal, made my first years of teaching, so comfortable and exciting.
My students have brought me the greatest joy and purpose. I can hardly imagine leaving them without feeling a certain amount of guilt and a lot of sadness. It was challenging and heart wrenching at times. But it was also hilarious and meaningful and gratifying.
My co-workers- so relaxed and encouraging and welcoming. I will so miss catching up in the lounge or the bus line, trying to figure out what the heck the new acronym is and if we really have to do it. ;-) My data clerk, reading coach, cafeteria staff, administration, custodial staff, guidance counselor... y'all all took time to listen to me, both professionally and personally. That means THE WORLD to me. I can only hope that I will be able to get that again in a staff, although those are really big shoes to fill. I call you my friends and that will never change!

My grade level- You get a shout out all on your own! Oh gosh, I just can't imagine not working with you guys anymore. God blessed me in a profound way when He gave me a job with you. I have cried with you, danced with you, cracked jokes with you, laughed with you and tried to carry burdens for you as you have, me. From my divorce to the deaths in my life recently, you all have been there for me in ways I will forever appreciate. How many people get to work right next to their dear friends every single day? I've been free to share my faith and my fears with you. I have lost my temper around you. I have laughed so hard I've cried with you. I've stolen your spoons. I've made really bad coffee. We've discussed men. kids. cellulite. budgets. data. chocolate. and even our underwear. :) I just love y'all so much. This is NOT the end of our friendship. Like it or not. You are not getting rid of me!

Harvest

I came to Pensacola not knowing a single person! My first plan was to find a church. I did a little leg work before moving and ended up visiting Harvest Pensacola. I loved the worship. The messages. The people. So, it's where we landed as a family. Some of the most special times for us was our first year here. It was a difficult time for me personally but I met some dear people during that time who counseled me, loved me and encouraged me. Dylan was baptized at Harvest and Brayden was dedicated as a baby there. Those were special, special moments for me as a Mama. :)
Also, through the church, came the opportunity for Brayden to be in the brand new church daycare. He was one of the first babies there so he had a teacher and room all to himself for most of the first year. He loved it and I took great comfort in knowing he was in a wonderful facility getting so much attention and love. He stayed until this June and it was a great place for him to be. I became good friends with the director who poured into my life and lifted my spirit many mornings and afternoons! I am very grateful for her presence in my life.

Through Harvest also came the opportunity for me to meet some people who I would share some good family time and community group time with. I have to say, I didn't get as involved with this as I would have liked. I've found that being here without a lot of "help" with two boys, made me desire A LOT of rest on my downtime. However, out of the church, came the opportunity for a friend who lived close to us, to take Dylan to school every day for me. She did this for 2 years for me and I am so grateful for that. It allowed Dylan to be in a wonderful atmosphere at Aletheia.

Which brings me to.....

Aletheia

Dylan started at Aletheia in 1st grade. It's been great for him and he has formed friendships with some incredible kids from incredible families. As a parent, you want your kids to be around good, solid kids. Well, Dylan definitely has that. These were such awesome kids. I had the privilege of having some of the boys in my home for Dylan's 8th birthday slumber party and it was so fun watching them have such a blast!
Through the school, I also got to know several moms that I just adore! Trina, Susan, Mary have been incredible friends the past few years. I haven't had enough time with them as so much of my time has been with the boys, but the times we have been able to visit and open up and spend together have been so dear to me. You ladies have made my heart so full! I love y'all a lot and thank you for loving my son and welcoming him into your homes and lives. I look forward to more visits!! This is NOT a goodbye post... I'm still only 30-45 minutes away so we'll work at staying connected with visits.

Pensacola Beach

Yep. It's getting it's own category. :) I can't believe I have lived on the Gulf Coast for 28 years and hadn't been to Pensacola Beach before moving here. That's just nuts! It has been the location of some AWESOME photos and memories for the boys and me. Whether I took a mental health day to sit alone and soak in the solitude and beauty, or packed the boys, the boards, and the cooler and spent the day down there, it's been home to some great days. I will really miss being 25 minutes from it but it'll be well worth it to drive a little farther to enjoy it.


So what's next??

Well, I'm glad you asked! ;-) 

This move to Fairhope wasn't really planned. I knew when moving here that Pensacola would probably be a "temporary home" to us and that I'd eventually like to be closer to home. Even though home was on the heart many times, I am also a creature of habit and take GREAT comfort in routine, friendships, predictability, stability, etc... so I would have been content and happy to stay in Pensacola indefinitely. However, something happened in my spirit after coming home from Haiti. It was the nudge that spurred on my efforts to look for jobs in Baldwin County. I felt such a strong sense that the boys and I needed to be growing back at People of Mars Hill (our former church). The teaching is so deep and challenging and the outreach in the community and beyond is right on with many of the personal convictions I have for my family and me. Bottom line, I have to be growing in God's plans and purposes for my life. Especially after Haiti, I felt that even more. My life wouldn't be "wasted" at all here in Pensacola, but I know it would flourish where my spirit could flourish. And not for myself but for Him! 

So with that said, I began the process of job hunting. I created a nice resume. I was honest in my interviews. I kept my options open. I tried to pray at every step. And then I sat back and said confidently that I had done my part fully and to the best of my human ability, and if anything were to happen now, it'd have to be due to God's craftmanship! Well, that's exactly what happened. Within 3 weeks, I interviewed, was offered a position, found a home and had the offer accepted. I leave for New Jersey in a week then return and pack the truck for Alabama! It's very fast moving and I am having to walk in faith, step. by. step. because to be honest, there's still a big part of my heart here in Pensacola. It's hard to move seasons in life. So hard. Like I said above, I could be perfectly content and happy in one place my whole life. But, if I want a FULL life, I have to be focused on staying open and flexible. That's where I have to walk forward in Faith... 

Some things I am looking the most forward to...

(do I even have any readers left?!? Geez, I'm long winded tonight!)

My family!

Oooh I miss being so close to y'all. I have driven to Mobile many, many, many times (per month!) but being closer will make my heart very happy. Now, I will go to the ends of the Earth if God calls me  but to be a bridge-hop away from my family and friends in Mobile and STILL be 30/45 minutes from my new friends in Pensacola, is very exciting. 

There are some people missing from this though. My Mom and Tom are in New Jersey. However, they will likely relocate after they retire so I am very eager for that day! My sister is in Atlanta and my brother is in Tuscaloosa BUT I am actively trying to convince them to move back to the Gulf Coast. It would be in everyones best interest, you guys. Come on, our children need each other!! (And Mark, it's so much harder to put Cayanne pepper in your shirts and mayonaise on your cheesecake, from so many miles away.)

People of Mars Hill

I can't wait to grow again here. This is the church that caused me to think about everything I believed and thought I believed about God. It took me from religious to Christ-focused; Rebellious to rededicated. I love the mission of the church. The acts of service. The depth of the messages. The sense of community and family atmosphere. The authentic, holistic vibe and worship. I'm very excited about this for the boys and me. :)

Sav-a-life

This ministry is so dear to my heart. I will live in Fairhope with my friend and Sav-a-life director, Susan and her husband FG. They have been sources of encouragement and support since I walked in the doors of this resource center as a scared 18 year old girl. I love the mission of this ministry and look forward to being closer so I can be part of that mission! 

My friends!

I look forward to cookouts, football gatherings, sleepovers, lunches and visits of all kinds! Love y'all so much! xoxo

My new job

As nervous as I get sometimes when I think about it, and sad when I think about leaving the great environment I have at Sherwood, I am eager and excited to get into a new room- a blank canvas! This will be a much different job than I am used to. I will be challenged as a teacher. But that's not a bad thing! I am on the early end of my career and I still have a lot to learn. I think change can be a great boost in confidence and experience. It will stretch me and force me out of my comfort zone. 

New memories with the boys...

Evenings at Fairhope Pier, picnics in the park, drives to the beach, ice cream shop visits, trips to Malbis, etc.... there are great days ahead for us and I am looking forward to creating many more beautiful memories together, both planned and unplanned! 

*******

I'm not sure I actually have anyone who has read this far but if you have, thank you! :)

I hope I was able to capture my gratitude and heart for the memories and friendships here in Pensacola.

I hope I was able to also share with you my vision for our families future and the purpose of this move. 

No matter what we do, no matter where we live, I want to live a life of love and praise and contentment and joy. I understand I can do that anywhere because so much of those things are a choice we can walk out daily. However, I think there are also specific times where God says, "Go", and He wants to do something in our lives that will both stretch and grow us. I wouldn't have been able to ignore or dismiss the call to "Go" much longer, even as much as my heart said, "Stay" at times. 

I look forward to sharing this upcoming season of life with you all as God opens doors that I can't even fathom! 






No comments:

Post a Comment